Tuesday, January 10, 2012

She's Crafty

She's Crafty!


I recently joined Pinterest, which is basically a virtual bulletin board for blogs and websites.  For the crafty, it's more addictive than anything illegal.  The first project I did was a Kindle cover for my husband which is from the blog Come Together Kids.  Click that link for their instructions, I won't duplicate, you should head over to that great blog anyway, but I will tell you the modifications I did.

1. I used fleece instead of quilted fabric.  This meant I didn't need to hem it, just glue it down.

2. I sewed.  I sewed the pocket and the elastics.  It was quick and I'm a sewing moron so don't sweat it.  I did all the sewing pre- hot glue.

3. I changed the direction of the pocket so the open side is facing the spine.  This is so you can put it in the book and close it and it won't fall out.



4. I added an elastic that goes over the book so you can elastic it shut, hopefully keeping the Kindle in place (you can see this all the way over to the right in the photo and below with the book shut).  To do this, I just sewed the elastic with the rough side on the under side of the fleece and then hot glued the whole thing down afterwards.


Materials:
- Hardcover book, make sure to look at size and title, you will be reading this book a lot and don't want to look a fool.  You can modify this design for ipads and nooks based on the size.
- felt, or other plush fabric.  Note, if you use a fabric other than felt, you'll need to hem it.
- hot glue.
- needle and thread
- elastic

I think that's it.

My method:

1. Cut out the book from a hardcover book.  This is shockingly easy.  I wanted to report it to my librarian friend that it was this easy.

2. Cut out fleece, if you planned ahead, you could just make it longer for the pocket, I didn't finish the pocket design until post-cut so I didn't do this.

3. Sew pocket, keeping the open side toward the middle.

4. Cut 4 roughly 3" lengths (I'd eyeball it before ever trusting a measurement from me) of elastic.  Sew elastic to corners of opposite side, which makes a reading holder, photo below.

5. Depending on the size of your book, cut a length of elastic and sew to the underside edge of your fleece.

6. Take your hot glue gun and glue the whole shebang down.

7. Let dry and start reading!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment